Thursday, February 3, 2011

Like a mother

Sometimes I get so caught up in how much I want to change and grow, I forget to help lift others up with me.  Today I was reading in 1 Thessalonians and felt very convicted of how Paul writes.  He wants everyone to grow.  He writes in in chapter 2:7-8 &12

"but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. 
We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only
the gospel of God but our lives as well."  
"encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his
kingdom and glory."

It is easy for me to say a kind word or do something to help someone out, then dust off my hands and head home.  Paul shows me here that I really need to invite them to be apart of my life.  I think that a lot of people have the impression that as Christians we don't have the same struggles as them.  I know I have a neighbor like this.  She will come over after fighting with her boyfriend and talk about all the things they said and just cry to me.  She was so surprised that I could even relate.  I told her before my husband and I started going to church we would have those same fights.  "Really!" she said, "well how did you change that."  Of course my answer was that we started going to church, and then God started convicting us to change our ways.  We didn't change to go to church, but rather started going to church seeking change.  I can see how, if someone sees me do something nice, they might just blow it off and say, "well they don't know what it's like for me."  I used to say that!  I want to bring them in show them my life, like Paul!  That is a hard pill to swallow, for me to let my wall down, show inside MY space.  Is this something you struggle with?

No comments:

Post a Comment